Sunday, December 20, 2009

My Inner 80's Rock Child and Classical Nerd found harmony tonight...

I don't know when I've had so much fun! :o)  Tonight was a night of unexpected hilarity! :o)  It ended with an incredible performance by Trans Siberian Orchestra!!!  But, to get the full effect, we have to start at the very beginning (a very good place to start....OK, I'm tired people, it was funny to me). :o)

So, our evening began with us dressing up to the 9s.  (No one told me people wear jeans to this thing!)  At 5:40, we arrived at Megan's and called Bourbon Street (one of my favorite restaurants, especially when I have a $25 gift certificate!).  We were placed on the waiting list and were told the wait was about 30-45 mins.  We figured if it took us 30 minutes to get up here, and we ate quickly, we could easily make the 7:30 start time of the TSO concert.  So, we head up to OKC.  (Megan, Natalie and Christie: if you read this, NO COMMENTS ON MY DRIVING!) :o)

When we arrive in OKC, you would have thought everyone in Oklahoma decided to eat that night.  Seriously, there were people everywhere!  We finally made our way through the throngs, parked and went inside (at 6:15), assuming our reservation had held and we would be seated in a few minutes.  Well.....when 7:00 finally rolled around, we realized we wouldn't be eating at Bourbon Street that night so we decided to jet over to Sonic (the only place to grab a quick bite around there!) before heading over to the Ford Center.  This began the hilarity.  We were dressed, practically in semi-formal wear, standing in line at Sonic with everyone else staring at us as if we had horns growing out of our heads.  We laughed, took pictures, and worked our way up to the counter to order.  As we were about to order, the manager tells me that it's going to be a 15 minute wait for food!  SERIOUSLY?!?!  Had Bourbon Street called them and told them not to give us food?  Were the food gods against us tonight!?!  Once again, our stomachs were empty and we walked out of our second restaurant (if you can call Sonic that) with just a coke/ice tea in our hands.  As we walked over to the Ford Center, we made plans to ditch the Sonic cups so we could blend in with the high class crowd that would be frequenting this cultural experience tonight.  As we walked closer to the Ford Center, we realized that most of the people attending were wearing jeans......and Christmas sweaters. :o)  We start to sheepishly look at each other, but we were still optimistic.  As we made our way to our seats, however, (which were INCREDIBLE seats by the way, thanks to Nat's step-mom) we realized we were very over dressed, but we looked amazing, so we calmly sat in our seats.  Just before the concert started, we all made a mad run for the concession stand and FINALLY filled our bellies with a Pizza Hut personal pan (although, the food gods were still against us because we wanted pizza rolls and they were out, ARGH!)

As the lights go down and the electric guitars start warming up, Natalie's face was frozen in this big, EXTREMELY CONFUSED, smile.  (Here's a side note that makes the rest of this story even funnier, but I didn't find it out until after the concert! Evidently, I was not very clear on who TSO was exactly.  Since they have the word orchestra in their name, half of our motley crew was under the impression that we would be listening to Bach and Beethoven......the normal way. :o)  They had no idea what was ahead for them!! I apologized and hopefully that helped.  But we founds ourselves wishing we'd worn our big hoop earrings and denim skirts!)  So.....the first half, all Christmas songs, began.

As I've stated by my title, my inner 80s Rock Child and the Classical Nerd that is in me got their socks blessed off!!  I loved every minute of it!  I was cheering, I was yelling, I was clapping and I was SHOCKED when one of the singers walked out on stage.  He was the size of a football player!!  But long hair was flailed (by the guys on stage), electric guitars were jumped around with, and the two violinists went through probably 5 bows a piece before all was said and done!  I smiled my way through all 3 hours.  As we stood up after the show, Natalie looks at me with a shakey grin and said, "Um.....that wasn't exactly what I was expecting...But you sure had a good time!" :o)  Well, even if our wonderful dinner plans didn't pan out and we couldn't even get food at Sonic, the concert was worth it.  They make up a band of extremely tallented musicians. Oh, and the lighting affects are kinda cool too. ;o)

Thanks to my friends, especially Natalie, I was able to do something I've wanted to do for years!  Thank you sweetie!!  And thanks for enjoying watching me enjoy it. :o) You blessed my socks off. :o)

No comments: