Wednesday, August 17, 2011

My tax dollars....

OK, so this is a topic that I generally stear clear of: politics. But then again, do taxes really fall under "politics"? Well, that's a discussion for another time, today what I'm talking about does fall under politics. :)

So, after reading an article about tax dollars being re-routed from abortion clinics to true family planning practices, I began to wonder. I mean, is it possible to refuse to pay taxes on the grounds that you don't agree morally with what they are spending your money on? OK, go with me here for a minute (and yes, I do remember that Jesus said to render unto Ceasar what is Ceasar's). I'm merely thinking outloud (or on paper I guess...) :) I realize that technically all of our tax money supposedly goes into this big pot and then the budget is divy-ed out from there (and amazingly it grows an extra few trillion while its in there to spend....oh wait, no that money isn't really in the pot.....but I digress). :) Anyway, the likelihood of "my money" going to an entity that I don't morally agree with (i.e. an abortion clinic or whatever) is pretty slim. I could technically say it's my neighbor's money that is going to that clinic and mine is going to cancer research or something that is not exactly in the moral realm. But what if my money did go to the abortion clinic? (I'm not trying to make this posting about abortion, I'm merely using it as an example due to the article I just read.) I'm not sure I know what to do with that thought. Our governmental leaders are there because someone said, "I trust you to do this." But can I trust my government's leaders to not do something I don't agree with? Can I trust them to spend my tax money the way I see it should be spent? These are all questions that are running through my mind at the moment. Don't worry, I'm not going to be thrown in jail for tax evasion (not that I make enough for it to be worth them messing with me). I will be paying my taxes. But it's reminded me even more how necessary it is that we pray for the leaders of our country. Pray that God will give them wisdom and courage to stand for what is right. And remember that untimately God is in control, no matter what. Just a random thought on Wednesday afternoon. :)

No comments: